Thursday, November 10, 2011

Why I Could Live in Sicily (A reason besides the food)

I have done the impossible. I have found a group of people who is colder and less tolerant of the cold than me. Colder in the sense of bodily temperature, not lack of friendliness. Sicilians are the some of warmest people I have met insofar as personality is concerned, but are not adjusted or adapted or willing to do so to the cold and will not tolerate being cold for any amount of time. This fact I found out because I am here in Sicily in November, a "cold" month for the island oasis of the best food on Earth. It's been raining all of Italy, and there's a bit more nip in the air here, and there was especially last night after leaving a movie theater around 10:30pm. We returned home and prepared to meet a cousin's friend for a birthday champagne toast at midnight. It was decided that we'd take the motorino to the piazza, and I was warned to bundle up. I put on my light scarf; I was promptly told this was not enough and was wrapped with a (super cute) wool scarf. Bene, I thought - I had previously had a very cold experience on a motorino in Padova that I was eager not to repeat. After being warned again to dress warmly, we went downstairs, put on our helmets, and climbed onto the motorino. We drove literally two blocks, parked the motorino, and met the friends. All of that worrying about being cold on a 5 second motorino ride? I didn't even have time to properly judge the temperature, much less die of the cold. And I, for the first time in my life, made fun of someone else for being cold. It was at this moment that I finally felt justified...to all of the people that have made fun of me for being cold all my life, there is a people who is colder than me. There is a people who is colder than me and I think I might just join them.

No comments:

Post a Comment