Monday, September 5, 2011

Ciao USA...Ciao Italia!

I love how ciao means  hello and goodbye in Italian...makes for less linguistic mistakes (one word for two purposes) but a lot of confusion if you're not sure which the other person is saying to you. I'm at the point where I get to say ciao to America and ciao to Italy on Wednesday. The last few weeks were a whirlwhind of American travel...Atlanta to Charlotte to NYC to Albany to NYC to Dayton to Cincinnati to Notre Dame (South Bend) to Cincinnati. It's been a fun time and here are the some highlights:
  1. I've made grilled pizza twice (once with Jack and Kent and once with Marco and family) and it is inevitably better than in the oven. I believe this might be because of the fire, but most likely because Alton Brown says its best that way.
  2. Special thanks to Michael P. Furman for the best bagel I've ever had in my life. If you are in the upper east side, have Furman tell you where to go. This place is amazing.
  3. I like tennis! I took two lessons with Marco's mom and was told that I "could play this game" if I wanted to. Very exciting except for the fact that I have no tennis equipment and look like a fool when I serve with my arm bent out like a chicken in the beginner position that I was taught.
  4. Gokarting is more fun for people who like to go fast. When you take the turns slowly and cautiously it seems like you're just driving, and you wonder why you have a helmet and a funny suit.
  5. If you go to Fiddler's Hearth in South Bend at 7:30ish on a Friday night you might get a table without waiting...if you go at 8, you might as well run to McDonalds, grab a snack and plan on eating when they open the next day.

1 comment:

  1. Do you think that when the Beatles wrote, "I don't know why you say goodbye, I say hello," they were really just speaking Italian?

    ReplyDelete